Saturday, November 22, 2008

Lake Powell

Our final trip of the summer break was to Lake Powell with Erin's family. Actually, the bishop of their new ward was going to rent a house boat for a week and invited them (allowing us to tag along). So Erin's fam brought their boat and we had a blast. I have never been wakeboarding that much in my life (and I blame most of that on Kevin who had the resources but never invited me). I would say that I went out at least 4 times a day. And at the end I think I was the only one with some remaining energy so I pretty much had the boat to myself. I loved it. But that didn't come without consequences. I was hurting pretty bad at the end of each day. But it was all worth it. No pain, no gain. Erin also had a wonderful time. Some of her favorite activites involved relaxing, sun, water, and a boat (plus watching her husband pull off dope moves on a wakeboard). I'll let you put those together as you want. So, as you can imagine her week was very enjoyable. She also learned how to drive the boat. I know some might question why we let her do that but she is a very good driver. However, she much more enjoys the sitting and relaxing part, so we let her. I'm pretty sure Erin's Dad enjoyed having another man around to help him out as Daniel is still M.I.A. serving faithfully in the D.R. Although Dad is very much a leader, he also enjoys the relaxing part so he handed the rings over to me for about half the time. :) Driving a boat is fun and I think I was actually quite a good driver (even though it's not that hard). I know it's hard to believe, but we did more than just sit in the boat wakeboarding/skiing. I've heard that this is one of the seven natural wonders but I'm not sure. However, it was "ooo" and "ahh" worthy. And the hike wasn't that bad at all. In case you might have been wondering, I did not make any adjustments to this picture... :) Although it took Erin a while to realize this, she really enjoyed the slide on the back of the house boat. And of course I found my enjoyment jumping off the top story doing flips and other crazy stuff. After beaching the boat, this is what the the women folk enjoyed doing most. Don't ask me. They just told me to sit still. As we all know, good things must come to an end. But this trip was great. The water felt great and the boat was a blast. And I don't think anybody was burnt too badly. I had to put on sunscreen at least 3 times a day but that's not the point. :) These are the women of the trip doing what they know best... enjoying the ride. This is Erin and her sister Krista enjoying a nice tube ride. I don't think I've ever heard anybody scream so much in my life. But apparently they enjoyed it. Erin's family is very skilled at skiing, particularly the single competition ski. Her dad is the most advanced. This picture actually doesn't do him any justice as he made some pretty sweet cuts and was going pretty dang fast. They never got me to try it though. I was too focused on clearing the wake on the wakeboard. And of course I'm always greatly impressed with Erin's skiing abilities. That girl has got some talent! Sorry though, no pics.
Erin and I loving the sun. And no... it's not because I'm so white that the sun is refecting off my body! Actually, you're probably right, but that's okay.
During the trip I quickly realized that someday when I have money (someday...) Erin and I will be investing in a boat. And for all those who want to share this investment with us, we invite you to Carlsbad. And yes...Erin and I are recruiting all we can get to Carlsbad.

5 comments:

perdue family said...

we're down with the boat idea. Its gotta be sick though.

Our Little Family said...

Jared where's the pics of you riding?? I know you can ride because I taught you how...and yes I brought you out on our boat a lot! You savage.

P.S. If we join you in Carlsbad, I'll pick out the boat.

Annie said...

I told Matt I want a boat too! I grew up with a boat and I FIRMLY believe its a great way to make family memories. I'm a big fan of the idea.

The Leiters said...

you guys get boat in california and we will get a cabin up little cottonwood canyon. Then we share both! Deal.

Debbie said...

Jared... you CRACK me UP! You're hilarious my brotha. Glad you had fun on the trip. Love ya!