This year I decided to plant a garden. Our first year in San Rafael, my garden failed. Miserably. I felt completely nauseated most of the time (prego!) and thinking about what to cook/do with a fresh tomato made me want to vomit. Thus, the garden dropped to rock bottom of my priority list. Last year, I was preoccupied with my small child and it didn't really cross my mind.
So, this year was the year. And much thanks to Matt and Annie, I added three or four more pots to my very small collection. Despite my black thumb, I've been determined to make a garden work this year. We've already had some failures (cilantro, basil), but I've been thrilled with my small successes. Gives me hope that someday I might actually have a producing "real" garden! Here is the progression of our humble garden that our landlord seemed to think was completely hilarious. :)
April 23rd
back row: tomato, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, strawberry
front row: bell pepper, basil
May 11th
back row: tomato, tomato, cucumber, strawberry (unseen)
front row: basil, bell pepper, bell pepper
There's that strawberry plant.
Our first harvest of the garden was this little berry...when it was ripe, of course.
May 21st
The lucky one who got to eat said strawberry.
And sadly didn't enjoy a bit of it, despite being a serious strawberry lover.
July 31st
REAL produce! Wahoo! We celebrated and ate falafels with homegrown cucumber and tomatoes. Fabulous.
This is a Japanese cucumber, very similar to the English cucumber, with a hint of lemon. So yummy!
August 13th
The success of this garden can be largely attributed to the most loving and adorable gardener I ever laid eyes upon.
Sometimes the patio gets thirsty, too.
Every time we walk out on the patio, Tanner can be found admiring all the plants, "watering" the plants with the hose off, and squishing our largest, most beautiful strawberries to death. (Guess that's what I get for picking a strawberry right in front of his eyes and then handing it to him to let him eat. :) That's why we only require some minor assistance here and there... :)
I look forward to the day we have a yard and a very large garden. :)
3 comments:
I love your super cute garden! Way to go, you guys! You're awesome. I am totally impressed. And you've got one heck of a cute little gardener there. Is he for hire? :)
I LOVE your garden!!!!! I never could get plants to grow in pots, I am so impressed! You will have one heck of a garden once you have a yard. My tomato plants are huge, but the tomatoes don't turn red, Maybe if I prune it then they'll turn red like yours. I love that you're trying different varieties, that's so fun!
Tanner is as cute as ever, I love his watering outfit! What a sweetheart!
Oh Erin...those pictures of Tanner watering the potted vegetables are ADORABLE! And hooray for getting some produce from them...way to go!
Post a Comment